Friday, March 23, 2012

May the odds ever be in your favor....

The whole point of an IVF cycle is to increase your odds of achieving pregnancy.  Because I am under 35, relatively healthy and no known fertility issues, our odds are pretty good.  But that doesn't mean much really in the grand scheme of things. 

I started with my Lupron shots on Wednesday.  I have to admit I really almost tried to terrify myself and psych myself out before I started them.  I am not afraid of needles, I have given more shots than I can count to animals (and your Aunt Julie)- but the first time I had to actually stick myself it was A LOT harder than I ever thought possible.   But in the end....it really wasn't that bad.

My first dose of Lupron- ready for business
The first day I wanted your Dad to be with me.  He was in the middle of finishing the fascia and soffits on the house (rotted thanks to shoddy builders) and had to come clean up-  he was not exactly amused.  But he came in.  I got everything ready....cleaned my belly with the alcohol pad and stuck myself.  And then...couldn't get my fingers to push the plunger in.  I freaked for a moment and then shoved a little harder than needed.  But the first dose of Lupron was administered. 

Lupron "suppresses" my ovaries and puts me into a mini menopause.  It is also used for men who have prostate cancer and children who achieve puberty too early. 

Besides Lupron I am on steroids (Dexamethasone) and baby aspirin- both of which are supposed to help make my body not reject embryos when transferred.  So- not only will I be starving thanks to the roids- but I might experience hot flashes and asthma attacks too!  The things women will do for their children..... 

So far Lupron hasn't been that bad (although I am only on day 3).  The shot on the second day was way easy to administer and the only side effect I've noticed so far is that the injection site gets a little irritated and itchy for about an hour afterwards- so really not that bad. 

Your Dad is taking an antibiotic and doing acupuncture weekly.  I am doing acupuncture bi-weekly and trying to do yoga at least once a day and long walks.  Between those activities and this blog and my awesome friend Molly I am so far able to control my emotions. 

All in all dear child- I can't complain about anything yet.  Just praying I can be patient and calm through all of this. 

This is what $3000 worth of drugs looks like

The monster needle your Dad gets to use to inject me

My favorite-  progesterone- in olive oil. 

I didn't want all my accouterments making the house look icky.  I put them in pretty boxes

No comments:

Post a Comment